Tuesday, May 01, 2007

The following are notes from a presentation given by Toby Hoff at the National Association of Christians in Special Education conference, 2007.
Topic:

Christianity and Adults with Disabilities
I was a usual human being until 6 years ago. I could be angry, but actually, now, I’m very happy. You see, now I have the opportunity to look backwards and when I do I see that I had a very fulfilled life on earth, but I had no room for God. Sure I was wealthy and successful as a human on this earth, but as a member of God’s family, I was not active at all.

But God gave me another chance and He brought me back to life to do His will. I knew this while I was in my coma. Now everyone hasn’t had this experience, but you can and must believe that God has them where they are for His good reason. They are not there by accident. There are no accidents. Even Satan has to ask God for approval (remember the story of Job?). So they’re where they are for a good reason; for God’s purpose and knowledge. The HUGE thing is now whether or not YOU’RE going to be able to see and appreciate that!

So now, I’m very different, right? No! I’m just the same person on the inside, it’s just the outside that has changed.

That pretty much sums up understanding disability from a Christian perspective.

Now, how can you best support an adult with a disability? Well, first of all you must listen to them and talk with them FROM THEIR PERSPECTIVE. What do they want and what do they need? Just understand them and treat them like you do other people. I see this all the time in Sunday School, and those with even severe handicaps do appreciate it and do respond.

If at Church, just find out, if possible, ahead of time what they may need. Now, understand that they may not know, so this is YOUR CHANCE to try and think ahead for them. Might they need to go to the restroom at some point? Can they go alone? Do they need your help at all? If so, how?

Now, when they are away from Church, it is NOT GOOD FOR THEM TO BE ALONE ALL THE TIME, so be sure to ask them if they can they receive visitors? Can you help to find someone to visit them? Above all, DO NOT MAKE THEM FEEL THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE TIME FOR THEM! Remember that they are different, so you be different too. One thing that doesn’t work at all is if you are being negative about things, because it seems to them as if you are yelling at them and criticizing them for doing something wrong or if they’re always alone, they feel that they aren’t worth your time.

It probably seems like a lot, but God will help you.

Now I’m not saying that I’m a genius or anything like that, but using the Bible as my guidebook, and seeing that Jesus spent a HUGE amount of His time here on earth with handicapped people, so with the example He gave to us, it’s clear that we should do the same!
Now, AGAPE means even more! The issue of good Christianity goes much farther than we originally realized. I’m sure that many would argue with me, but I think that handicapped adults exist to communicate to humans how much God really loves us.

No comments: